"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Road Not Taken.

In times now passed I had made a wonderful friend. We got along great, hung out nearly every day, and grew very close. I loved this individual as a sibling and would have done anything in the world for them (I still would). Unfortunately we each had choices to make and they caused us to go our separate ways. We chose different paths to walk, I wish more than anything I could get in contact with them and catch up on life, sadly I do not think I will ever know what happened to my good friend.

By far one of my favorite poems is Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost


It can easily be related to many of the choices we make in life. My one dispute to this poem is that quite often we start on one of these paths, it seems fun and enjoyable, and it is filled with the things we think will make us happy. However as we grow older and wiser, and typically with the help of family and friends, we realize that this path we chose, that seemed so wonderful, it's not where we want to be, and we have become someone we would rather not know. Unfortunately too often we never leave the forsaken path completely behind us, we may let it haunt our minds, find us when we are alone, or for some weird reason we may even brag about the deeds that we are truly ashamed of. As an individual I am beyond grateful for those that have helped me as I write the story of my life. In my opinion the greatest trait a friend can possess is the ability to give another the desire to be a better person. These are the people we should keep closest to us.
A quote I love states "There are many paths, remember that you alone choose the path on which you walk." As much as our friends may try to and wish to help us, it is ultimately our decision. As the friend it may break our hearts to see the people we love making the choices they are. At times it may seem incredibly difficult to make the choice that deep down we feel is right. "The right choice and the most difficult choice are quite often one in the same." If we wish to truly grow and develop a strong character for ourselves these are the choices we must make, these are the choices that will lead to true happiness. We tend to compromise and justify our actions, convincing ourselves that what we are doing really isn't that big of a deal. What we must ask ourselves is simply what we want to become in life? This isn’t really referring to the job we have or the accomplishments we attain, but more so it is dealing with us as individuals.   
Am i perfect? Not even close. I would never even pretend to be, but i have come to see what brings true happiness in life and words cannot adequately describe the gratitude I have for understanding this.

Before moving to Salt Lake I taught a class at Church, the Teachers Quorum (all the 14 and 15 year old boys). Those young men were and still are some of the greatest examples to me. The best part is I knew most of them from the time they were very young, to see them grow and mature has done so much for me. They are shining examples of what this world needs. I am privileged for the chance I have been given to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment