"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, March 4, 2012

El Toreo - Memories

For a while now I've been thinking about all my random memories I've had from the past. Most of them have never been written down so I'm finally going to take the time to do so.
The other day I find out one of my closest friends, Damien, will be heading to Guam with his wife and little girl to be stationed while they serve in the U.S. Air Force. For years Damien and I made a habit of going to a small mexican restaraunt called El Toreo. It started as early as 8th grade and we went as often as possible until life caused us to move on. All through high school we would go and most always order our meals from the back of the menu where all of the A La Carte items were. Between the 2 of us we could spend less than five dollars and have a great meal. We would also always ask for them to bring out extra lemons, why you may ask? Well to make lemonade of course! After a while the waiter new us and would just bring out the lemons whenever he saw us walk in. They would also bring out delicious fresh chips and salsa. It was normal for us to go through two or three baskets of chips. Damien always asked for them to bring out mild salsa because the regular salsa was too hot for him. I would always tease him about this but in reality I really liked the mild salsa, I felt it had more flavor. To this day I appreciate those good times we had. The food was great, but more important than how it tasted was the good times we had there. Occasionally we had other friends join us. Probably the funniest time with someone else coming was when Damien's brother Donovan came along. All he seemed to care about was launching little bits of paper off his spoon. Luckily there was no one else there at the time...

While serving my mission in Virginia finding good mexican food was a huge challenge, its just not the same as in California. I was really starting to miss it. Then I was transferred to the Chesapeake Area and was introduced to a restaraunt called El Toro Loco. It was like a piece of home and a reminder of all the times we went to El Toreo. Almost every time we went to El Toro Loco I would order the Burrito Jalisco! It was amazing! Just finishing it in one sitting was an achievement on its own.

So now back to El Toreo and more importantly memories. Sometimes we forget about the simple good times we have had. Damien has been an incredible friend, I could go on and on about random funny memories we've had together, and in time I probably will, I am very excited for the adventure he and his little family will be taking in the near future. They are not leaving until near the end of this year, but because of life and responsibilities we have it is not certain whether we will be able to meet up before they leave. Whether we are able to or not its okay. I was gone for 2 years and when I got home we were no less friends than before. If anything we have become better friends. El Toreo was in many ways just a small whole in the wall mexican restaraunt, but for me it will always be a wonderful memory with one of the best people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment